Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:21:08 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

You could do something like what I'm doing right now.  I'm adapting
Soren's[*] new driver to deal properly with ATA FLASH cards with an
eye towards also being able to support rescanning IDE busses, cdroms
that come and go, etc.  I'm working with Soren to make sure that the
changes are architecturally well thought out.

I also finally have data sheets for the non-ata flash cards that I
have which may get a new driver as well.  However, my interest in that
project is reduced somewhat because these cards require 12V to write,
which makes it useless for my Libretto 50CT since it can't provide a
12V line to PCCARDs.  I had been waiting for a copy of the pccard
standard to start on this, but now that I have a datasheet, I don't
need it.

However, I have too many irons in the fire right not to commit to
being PCMCIA point man for all things.  Making things incrementally
better from time to time I'll continue to do.  Had I the time and/or
funding I'd be all over the cardbus issues or other dynamic device
issues for the greater good of FreeBSD.  Usb will need it, as will
newer pci buses that support hot plugging, pccard, card bus, docking
stations, cdrom drives on laptops, etc so a generic solution would be
highly desirable.  Although some of these may be laptop specific,
others would clearly benefit the desktop platform.

Warner

[*] I know that Soren's name has an o-thorn in the second position,
but I don't know the encoding for o-thorn...