Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 20:37:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Subject:   RE: DPT install problem

On 22-May-98 Charles Owens wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 1998, Simon Shapiro wrote:
>

>> On 21-May-98 Tom wrote:
>> >
>> >   I'm trying to use the boot-dpt 2.2.6-RELEASE floppy to bootstrap a
>> >   new
>> > DPT based system.  However, sysinstall hangs after newfs'ing the
>> > filesystems.
>> >
>> >   I'm using a 21GB array, with auto-defaults for the filesystems, so
>> >   /usr
>> > is over 20GB in size.  If I delete /usr and replace it with a 500MB
>> > filesystem, leaving the remaining space unallocated, sysinstall has no
>> > problem completing the newfs step.
>> >
>> >   Anyone else had problems with sysinstall on a mid-sized array like
>> > this?
>>
>> Yup.  Me :-)
>> But not on 3.0-current.  I noticed that 2.2 does not like huge
>> partitions,
>> but this is not consnstent.
>>
>> Simon
>
> This has me a bit nervous.  This July I will be implementing an NFS
> server
> with a 60GB DTP-based array.  My plan has been to use 2.2-stable... but
> perhaps 3.0-current is my only choice?  Is this -stable problem
> understood, with a fix coming any time soon?

Relax.  It is not so bad.  Here is what you do:

a.  Install your core system, avoiding any single file system (slice)
    larger than about 4GB.

b.  Boot the system and use disklabel -e, etc. to create the really large
    filesystems.

c.  Modify /etc/rc as per my previous post.

d.  Call me if there are any more problems.

> Any other concerns that I should be sweating about as I'm planning on
> building an array of this size?  (and it will probably double in size the
> following summer)

Yes.  Fsck on such a filesystem is a bit slower.
      Not too many people actually tested the filesystem code, overflowing
      32bit addresses.
      Backup of such a partition may be interesting too.

> Thanks,
> ---
>   Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
>                                              http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
>   Network & Systems Administrator
>   Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
>   Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
>                                    too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                           Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG