Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 10:05:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        mauri@aripaev.ee (Lauri Laupmaa)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG ('stable@freebsd.org')
Subject:   Re: -STABLE scsi problem (bug?)

Lauri Laupmaa wrote...
> Hi
>
> I've lately added old but reliable Micropolis Raidion RAID 5 array and a 3rd
> aic7870 adapter. Raidion is only device on this adapter, it has ID 0 and
> LUNs 0 and 1. After some days I get some errors like:
>
> > (da8:ahc2:0:0:1): SCB 0x0 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1,
> SEQADDR
> == 0xa
> > (da8:ahc2:0:0:1): Queuing a BDR SCB
> > (da8:ahc2:0:0:1): no longer in timeout, status = 34a
> > (da8:ahc2:0:0:1): Invalidating pack
> > (da8:ahc2:0:0:1): Invalidating pack
> > (da8:ahc2:0:0:1): Invalidating pack
>
> and then when I try to unmount (even with -f) filesystems on RAID, I get
> device not configured. ls shows no files there...

Your problem is that your array is going out to lunch during a read or
write command.  The timeout for read and write commands is 60 seconds, so
my guess is that your array has buggy firmware.

> Now for the BUG: If I do shutdown -r now it says syncing disks 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
> ... giving up and after reboot starts fsck EVERY filesystem ! If it can't
> sync one then it reboots without syncing others...

I can't do anything about that.

By the way, you should send SCSI problems to the freebsd-scsi list, you're
more likely to get a response there.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry