Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 96 12:04:30 +0100
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.EDU.AU
Cc:        Freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Other ports (Re: FreeBSD/MIPS anybody)

msmith@atrad.adelaide.EDU.AU (Michael Smith) wrote:

>What strikes me as the biggest real problem is the highly
>x86-optimised VM, and along with that perhaps the blurring of MI/MD
>code in the FreeBSD kernel.

>I've been studying the NetBSD code for a little while now, and it
>strikes me just how much of the VM seems to be replicated from one
>architecture to the next.  Is this really necessary?  How much of
>the FreeBSD VM is actually x86-specific, and how much could
>reasonably be moved out and reused by other architectures?

Why do you claim netBSD rewrote its VM for each architecture. At least
the parts affecting my bechmarks are quite similar in each :-)

John Dyson will hopefully speak for himself, but he stated several
times that most his VM work is not x86 specific. It is
*FreeBSD*-specific and interfaced to several non-elegant FreeBSD
constructs, that's what makes a port to FreeBSD and OpenBSD difficult.

NetBSD reorganised major kernel parts several times, causing driver
developers to cry. They claim it is needed to make live for other
platforms easier respectivly port maintainers would start to maintain
their own slightly modified versions of kernel parts, thus leading to
maintainance nightmares.

If FreeBSD is going to be ported to other architectures, I expect the
need for a lot of reorganization/generalization in the FreeBSD kernel
to arise. Otherwise, other ports than the main (x86) will have a code
base with a full kernel source of their own (as does the SMP kernel
for now).

Martin
--
Martin_Cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de http://cracauer.cons.org  Fax.: +4940 5228536