Date:      16 Jun 2005 10:19:59 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb2 external drive gets different designations

"dave" <dmehler26@woh.rr.com> writes:

>     I've got a working usb2 external IDE hard drive running on a 5.4-stable
> box. My problem is sometimes when i connect it it is given a designation of
> da0 while other times it is given a designation of da1 or da2. I'd like to
> create a fstab entry for this drive so that when it is connected it is
> mounted and when disconnected it is unmounted cleanly. I was wondering if
> this was possible or if not if there was a way of giving it da0 or da1
> everytime the drive was connected?

That's possible, but I can't find the way to do it right now.

You may find it easier to set up usbd.conf(5) to automatically mount
the device when it's detected.  Or, alternatively, to make a symbolic
link from a constant name in /dev (which is pretty close to what you
asked for originally).

Be well.
		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/