Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:47:40 +0200
From:      Nick Hibma <nick@van-laarhoven.org>
To:        Milan Obuch <freebsd-hardware@dino.sk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modem GPRS USB - testers needed for 3G USB based data cards.

> I tried building under both 7.1-PRERELASE from Sep 19 and 8.0-CURRENT
> (two days old or so). It builds under the former, but does not build
> under the latter, complaining about missing TS_CALLOUT.

Thanks. I will check into that this week.

> That beeing said, under 7.1 it kldloads/kldunloads, and as soon as I have
> an access to Huawei E220 (temporary), I will test whether it works. Is
> there anything special necessary to use this driver? Or is it just like
> using normal modem with ppp? I would like to know because my access to
> this device is currently limited only for some occasions.

Nope. You will get multiple /dev/cuaUX devices (4 in this case I believe)
and you need to pick /dev/cuaU0. Start ppp with your usual entry and before
typing dial you set the device to

	set device /dev/cuaU0

Don't forget to set the baud rate to 115200 or higher to set buffering
correctly in the TTY layer. Oh no, that still needs fixing in the ucom
driver. You will get lots of warnings. Increase 256 to 1024 in the
following line:

	#define U3GBUFSZ        256

The problem here is that ucom doesn't properly initialise the tty struct.
Setting this value isn't the proper way of doing this but it works.

With

	screen /dev/cuaU2

and then typing in

	AT+CSQ

you can view signal strength. Depending on the device the following commands
you can try (while on the move):

	AT+CREG=1			GSM connection status
	AT+CGREG=1			GPRS connection status
	AT+CREG=2			GSM connection status including mast IDs
	AT+CGREG=2			GPRS connection status including mast IDs
	AT_OSSYS=1			Async selected system reporting (Option)
	AT_OSQI=1			Async Signal Quality Reporting (Option)

Thanks for testing.

Cheers,

Nick