Date:      Fri, 05 Nov 1999 14:11:28 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Alejandro Ramirez <ales@megared.net.mx>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp questions

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Alejandro Ramirez wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >

> >> 2 questions:
> >> 1.  how can i see the transfer rate or connect speed if i miss the one
> >> during login?  'show modem' shows the peak and average, but not the
> >> connection speed.
> >
> >I think that you can see it with the show phy command.
>
> Like i said, i see peak and average, but no connection speed.

I usually grep /var/log/ppp.log for CONNECT or ARQ. I have pmdemand
for ppp setup to log the connect information. I normally grep ARQ
because I don't always get a CONNECT on the line but I do see an
something like 48000/ARQ/V90/...

Kent

> >I think that you are enabling that your DNS requests are going to be
> >resolved by your service provider, instead of another DNS server, (Maybe an
> >Internal one with no recursion enabled).
>
> So that means i don't need to enable it?
>

> >You can use the "ppp -ddial" argument, some guys have soved his problems
> >with this, and not just for remaking the call to your service provider when
> >the link has been dropped, but they say that the had none reconnection in
> >several days after they use this argument.
> Is it possible pppd would work better?

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html