Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:32:33 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        =?iso-8859-7?Q?S=F8ren?= Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA errors on recent -current

On 2002-04-15 15:56, Søren Schmidt wrote:
> It seems Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > On 2002-04-14 23:46, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > Is your drive perchance an IBM DTLA?
> > > It's known to have these problems.
> >
> > Nay.  A Western Digital disk I bought about 2.5 years ago.
>
> Hmm, AFAIK WD newer had a disk that worked right with tags,
> and I've newer been able to find a workaround on those I
> have here in the lab....

It doesn't.  You're right.  I had posted that message before checking
with `atacontrol cap'.  My problems with the disk are obviously caused
by something else that's broken in my local setup.  Sorry for jumping
up and making noise :)  The console messages I'm getting were similar:

| Apr 12 00:09:27 hades kernel: ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
| Apr 12 00:09:28 hades kernel: ata0: resetting devices .. ata0-slave: ATA identify retries exceeded
| Apr 12 00:09:28 hades kernel: done

This is caused by something else, as I've found out later.  Tags have
nothing to do with what I'm seeing.  Before saying "hey, this is a
bug" I want to do further tests to make sure that it's not the
hardware's fault.

Giorgos.