Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 15:37:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Allen Smith" <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Documenting sysctls (was: Re: kernfs/procfs questions...)

<<On Fri, 5 Jun 1998 12:28:11 -0400, "Allen Smith" <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu> said:

> Umm... while everyone's talking about documenting sysctls, would
> somebody mind explaining exactly what proxyall does? From reading over
> the source code, I _think_ that this is what happens, but I'm not sure:

Let me explain what it was originally written for.

Three years ago, my then-employers wanted to separate our
videoconferencing network off from the main production network (mostly
so that the Suns on the video net couldn't sniff passwords on the
other side).  At the same time, we wanted to play around with a
cable-modem network that MIT cable was testing out.  Since subnets on
net 18 are hard to come by, we decided the best thing to do was to
re-subnet our existing /16.  Of course, it would have been too much of
a pain to change over all the old machines, so the proxy ARP hack was
born.  It was only about five minutes of coding.

-GAWollman