Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 11:01:38 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Stephane Raimbault <segr@segr.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Access to FBSD via LAN

Stephane Raimbault said:
>If you look in some of my most recent posts I have included a ifconfig -a
>in the message.  To the questions any firewall stuff etc... well This is
>pretty much a fresh 2.2.6-RELEASE Kernel Install with an modified kernel
>to acomadate the extra network card.  Yes I could telnet to 192.168.0.1
>(now 192.168.126.1) however I noticed when I did such a thing in netstat
>-r it would show the 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.126.1 now) that the attached
>adapter was the lo0 (loopback I believe).
>
>This has to be one of the most frustrating thing I have encountered with
>FBSD.  I think it should be simple, but I will be damn if I can find it...
>

>hmmm... I just tried a 'tcpdump ed1' and got the following error:
>	tcpdump: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured
>could this be my problem?

That's because you don't have any BPF (Berkeley Packet Filter?) devices in
your kernel -- I forgot that they aren't there by default.  You'll need to
add something like

pseudo-device bpfilter 2

to your kernel config, and remember to MAKEDEV bpf[01] if those device
nodes don't already exist.

Maybe you could try switching your two networks onto the opposite cards and
see if the behaviour changes.  At least then we would know if it's hardware
or just a software config problem.

>Thank you for all your time,
>Stephane R.

No problem.  It's what this list is here for.

	Scott.