Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 07:23:20 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Grant Cooper <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: apache file

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 08:06:31AM -0600, Grant Cooper wrote:
> I downloaded, httpd-2.0.39-i386-freebsd4.6.tar.gz and attempted to unzip
> using, gzip -d and gunzip. Both gave me the same error - "invalid compressed
> data--format violated". I have freeBSD 4.5. So I used winzip on my win98
> machine and it decompressed fine. What am I doing wrong?

ftp download in ASCII mode?  That's kind of unusual on FreeBSD as the
ftp client defaults to binary mode. Other OSes do ftp defaults
differently.  Some compression/decompression programs can detect that
sort of damage and compensate.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK