Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:48:54 +0900
From:      Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
Subject:   Call for Review: Voxware midi driver for serial ports

Hi!

I am writing on behalf of Tsuyoshi Iguchi-san<zinnia@jan.ne.jp>, who ported
the Voxware midi driver for serial ports from Linux to FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE
and 4.0-CURRENT(by me). With this driver, you get to plug your synthesizer
into the serial port to use playmidi, rosegarden and other popular midi
players and tools for VoxWare. I tried playing a midi sequence with heavy
exclusives using playmidi to get NO latency at all like sbmidi.

Tsuyoshi-san is working to merge his driver into the new audio drivers
by Luigi. Prior to it, we would like someone to have a review on
Tsuyoshi-san's work.

For those who interested, here is what you have to do:

1. Fetch the patch for the driver.

	For 3.1-STABLE:
	http://www.eie.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/~a95516/zinnia/hack/rsmidi/uart16550patch.tar.gz

	For 4.0-CURRENT:
	http://www.eie.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/~a95516/zinnia/hack/rsmidi/uart16550.egcsfixed.diff.gz

2. Patch your kernel source.

	For 3.1-STABLE:
	% cd (somewhere)
	% tar zxvf uart16550-3.1-STABLE.tar.gz
	% cp uart16550.c /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sound
	% cd /usr/src/sys/i386
	% patch -p < (somewhere)/uart16550/uart16550-3.1-STABLE.patch

	For 4.0-CURRENT:
	% cd /usr/src/sys
	% zcat (somewhere)/uart16550.egcsfixed.diff.gz | patch

3. Modify your kernel config.

	a. Comment out the sio device to use for midi output. eg:

	#device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x10 tty irq 4

	If you don't want to remove sio device,	set disable flag to sio device.  eg:

	device		sio0	at isa? disable port "IO_COM1" flags 0x10 tty irq 4

	b. Add the midi serial device. The device name is 'uartsio' at this moment.

	controller	snd0		# Do not forget this!
	device		uartsio0	at isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4

	The port and irq for uartsio0 may vary, of course.

4. Make your new kernel, install it and reboot your box as usual.

5. cat(1) /dev/sndstat. You should have something like this:

Card config:
(snip)
16550 UART Midi at 0x3f8 irq 4

Midi devices:
0: SoundBlaster 16 Midi
1: uart16550A MIDI

   Check the underlined messages.

6. That's it! Have a nice tune!

Comments and requests are all welcome. Thanks!

Seigo TANIMURA           |M2, Nakagawa Lab, Dept of Electronics & CS
=========================|Faculty of Engineering, Yokohama National Univ