Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:56:12 -0700
From:      Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   zlib issue solutions

There have been two solutions to the problem with zlib and Java
presented, but I see no resolution to the problem.  The most recent and
best solution (IMHO) is to use zlib in the build.  The alternative is to
privatize the symbols.

When will one of these fixes be incorporated into the port?  The zlib
issue causes problems with anything using gtk from Java manifesting in
core dumps and theme visual misbehavior.  I'm sure it is not just
limited to gtk.

To refresh peoples memory, these discussions were:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2005-October/004487.html

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2005-October/004476.html

Cheers,
Sean