Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 12:39:07 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
Cc:        Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Subject:   Re: Mouse copy from console to X?

In the last episode (Jul 13), Adam Weinberger said:
> ctrl-C is a windows copy command. in the unix world, it's often an
> abort stroke.

Which is why I always use CRTL-INS to copy, and SHIFT-INS to paste.
Those are the keys MS started using in edit.com, and they still work in
all Windows apps.  I don't know why Windows later decided to steal the
"break" and "literal" control keys.

> the console clipboard and the X clipboard are indeed 2 different
> things. when i start X, i redirect stderr to stdout, and tee it to a
> logfile. your best bet is to dump the console contents you want into
> a file, and then read that file in X.

I do it by starting a screen session in the console and starting up a
text editor.  I then open an xterm and attach to the same screen
session (screen -x sessionnumber), and use that to transfer text back
and forth.

It might be a good Juniour Hacker Project to add clipboard
reading/writing ioctls to syscons, and write a small daemon to monitor
it and the X clipboard and shuffle data from one to the other.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com