Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 10:23:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, kirk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic from _mutex_assert in kern_lock.c

Brian F. Feldman said:
> "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> > The source tree was retrieved by cvsup
> > at 21:47 (PST) on Oct 4.
> >
> > This is a non-GEOM and non-acpi kernel.
> >
> > I have the core and kernel.debug, so any
> > further postmortem is possible.
>
> I think the problem is that in src/sys/ufs/ffs/
> ffs_snapshot.c:ffs_snapshot(),
> as the mnt vnode list is traversed none of the vnodes ("xvp") would actually GET
> VI_LOCK()ed in the first place, and so the LK_INTERLOCK is bogus in the
> vn_lock() call.  Kirk would know for sure what to do about this...

I came to the same conclusion after I sent the original email.

What I don't understand is how I ended up in ffs_snapshot(),
because I don't have a snapshot of /var.  I tried snapshots
when Kirk first introduced the feature, but I removed all
of the snapshots a long time ago.  Is there a flag in the
superblock that I need to clear?

One other point, the machine was doing a background fsck
on /var.  Does a background fsck go through ffs_snapshot()?

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/