Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:41:12 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Luis =?iso-8859-1?Q?Guzm=E1n?= <luis@galileo.or.cr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems after upgrade

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 03:30:36PM -0600, Luis Guzm=E1n wrote:

> I upgraded my server from FreeBSD 4.6.2 to version 4.8. After this, my pa=
sswd file was empty and my master.passwd was gone! I have a backup of these=
 files and now I need to rebuild my users database. Is there a way to do th=
is from my old files? I also need them for my SMB network.

Copy your backup master.passwd file to /etc/master.passwd and then run:

    # pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd

which will rebuild the password database, including the /etc/passwd file. =
=20

Nb. If you upgraded your system using the install media, what it will
have done is essentially write over your original system with the
updated files.  That includes giving you a fresh set of the default
versions of the files under /etc -- it will backup your original
settings for you, but you're going to have to merge those files with
the new ones under /etc.  This includes particularly such files as
/etc/group, /etc/login.conf, /etc/make.conf, your PPP configuration
(if you're using PPP) and any other files you've customised.  You may
find the following commands useful if you need to restore the group or
login.conf files:

    # cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf
    # cap_mkdb /etc/group

(It does no harm to run those if you're not sure whether you need to
or not.)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20