Date:      Sun, 03 May 1998 23:48:48 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <metcaljm@utrc.utc.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, metcalf@snet.net
Subject:   Re: kern/4498

>1.  Is it something proprietary in the IBM (Exabyte) 7208/011 that's
>causing the
>    problem or is it a limitation of the aic device driver?  Recall it
>works fine
>    from NT.

I seem to recall that the general sentiment is that 6330 based cards
probably work as well as the specs say, but the FreeBSD driver is
not very good.  This rhymes well with the trouble I see occasionally
from one such chip sitting in an old 486 machine I have here.

I'm not aware of anybody actively working on the driver, but we can
at least hope that it gets improved during the upcoming "SCSI-CAM"
coding frenzy, there is no guarantee that it will be though.

>2.  Asuming there is no problem with the AIC-6360 or the aic driver, am
>I correct
>    in concluding that most SCSI tape drives are slow so that having a
>better
>    adapter JUST for the ZIP and tape drive would be pointless?

Well, as I said above, I think our driver is sub-standard, so I
would find a better adapter for the Exabyte at least, this is
also due to the fact that the specs didn't say that your entire
system is not doing anything else while transfering data over this
adapter.  This is bad for a tapedrive, since you want to read/write
to disk in parallel with the tape write/read operation, in particular
for helical-scan media.

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal