Date:      09 Oct 2002 09:26:58 -0700
From:      Cherie & John Carri <cjcarri@earthlink.net>
To:        Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
Subject:   Re: startx crashes for non-root users on XFree86 4.2.0/FreeBSD 4.6

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 13:30, Jud wrote:
> Wonder if fewer people would be surprised by this if
> a warning about it appeared at the beginning as well
> as the end of the port build process?  Then what to do
> about package installs, e.g., using
> /stand/sysinstall?
>
> Jud
It was exactly this that bit me, well, bit my installation. I was
installing FreeBSD 4.6 from scratch on a freshly formatted hard drive,
by booting from the CD-ROM, i.e. using /stand/sysinstall. When I got to
the "configure X" part of the install, something failed, and I got error
messages to the effect that XFree86 configuration had failed. This exact
same thing happened twice more, when I attempted to reinstall from
scratch again, thinking perhaps I had made some kind of mistake when
selecting from the various menus.

I'm a far cry from being a FreeBSD guru, but I am interested in it and
have appreciated the extremely robust installation process of version
4.2 and 4.4 from CD-ROM; that, the increased speed on slow hardware, and
not having to deal with numerous slightly incompatible versions of
software apps have been my main reasons for staying interested in
FreeBSD rather than shifting entirely to easier-to-use Linux distros.

From my perspective, if a new security feature causes the install script
for FreeBSD version 4.6 to crash, that's a definite step backwards...and
if the installer is crashing for some other reason, well, that's still a
definite step backwards.

Hopefully version 4.7 and later will recover the rock-solid installer of
earlier versions.

Thanks to all who responded to my original query. I may have more
questions soon - my workplace is supposed to issue me a laptop any day
now to replace my ancient desktop, and I'm hoping to put FreeBSD on it.

-John Carri