Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:04:31 -0400
From:      Ean Kingston <ean@hedron.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.x raid...

On July 14, 2005 11:42 pm, David Kelly wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2005, at 7:56 PM, Casper wrote:
> > I can`t find gvinum man on my 5.4 and in google too :)

Use the vinum manpage and documentation just mentally substitute gvinum for
vinum in all commands.

Also, as mentioned before, gvinum is not yet feature complete so some of the
things listed in the documentation for vinum  doesn't work yet. It's sort of
hit-and-miss.

There is enough of gvinum to be able to setup a mirror (I did that on 5.3).
Also, if upgrading from a 4.x system gvinum will read the vinum config from
the disk BUT after you run gvinum the first time you may have problems
getting back to vinum (according to the readme).

The change in name from vinum to gvinum is because of the new disk sub-system
(geom). IIRC It is optional in late version of 4.x and early versions of 5.x.
It's off by default in 4.x and on by default in 5.x.