Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:59:12 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Oben O. Candemir" <dunya@one.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD IRC channels and ??quality??

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > You've quite obviously missed the point... you probably haven't used Linux
> > to any great degree (maybe proudly); but the IRC avenue for help is highly
> > developed on the specific linux IRC servers. I realise that #linux is just
> > as bad on EFNET but try the linpeople.org servers and you will see what I
> > was trying to get across. IRC is a highly responsive form of peer help and
>
> I hardly think that I've missed the point at all.  You raised a
> specific objection to EFNET (and read your mail again if you have any
> doubts), you made it sound as if this was somehow a FreeBSD specific

My ??objection to EFNET as you rephrase it, is not an objection at all. It
is an observation of extremely poor IRC etiquette to those asking
questions; and a suggestion that we could lift the standard. The topic of
the channel today is for example:

] *** Topic for #freebsd: <|Quasar|> *Katana* Beholder of the concrete
] dildo.
] *** #freebsd tog 916690716
] *** #FreeBSD 903634712

As someone else has observed, my expectations of the channel came from
someone who was used to the 'Linux way' on IRC servers. I now don't
particularly care for the FreeBSD IRC channel on EFNET... but the
FreeBSD FAQ clearly says:

] 1.14. Are there FreeBSD IRC (Internet Relay Chat) channels?
]
] Yes, most major IRC networks host a FreeBSD chat channel:
]
]   Channel #FreeBSD on EFNet provides technical discussions on FreeBSD
] and often advanced solutions involving it. Questions that are more then
] adequately addressed in the FAQ and Handbook are heavily discouraged.
] Available at server irc.chat.org.

I don't call "concrete dildos" (see topic above) "technical discussion"
unless you particularly want one in one of your ports (computer or flesh
variety).

Your message has unfortunately focussed on my correct observation that you
had missed the point. The rest of your message was pure fluff without
much substance.

Regards
O Candemir