Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:38:21 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Support for SAS/SATA non-RAID adapters

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Artem Belevich <fbsdlist@src.cx> wrote:
>> =C2=A0LSI SAS 3080X-R =C2=A0 =C2=A08-port SATA/SATA PCI-X
>
> This one uses LSI1068 chip which is supported by mpt driver. I'm using
> motherboard with an on-board equivalent of this and don't have much to
> complain about. I did see some CRC errors with SATA drives in 3Gbps
> mode, but those went away after updating firmware to 1.29.0.0. I've
> seen some comments on zfs-discuss mailing list that -IR variant of the
> firmware (the one that provides RAID0/1 capabilities) does have some
> stability issues and recommended going with simpler -IT version (just
> pass-through disks).

If that one uses the LSI1068 chipset, do you know which one uses the
LSI1078 chipset?  I've seen that number in the comments in one of the
mf* drivers (think it was mfi).  How does one determine which actual
chipset is in which controller?  Do they have that buried in the docs
somewhere?

I've also found a couple of Areca cards (PCI-X, non-RAID/PCIe RAID),
and have heard good things about Areca support in FreeBSD.  Any
comments on their quality/performance/reliability?

--=20
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com