Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 03:46:25 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Tatsumi Hosokawa <hosokawa@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Progress report: Multilingual sysinstall for -current

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 05:28:28PM +0900, Tatsumi Hosokawa scribbled:
| I've ported Multilingual sysinstall to -current.  I put the latest
| source and binaries (Japanese/Englush only) is at
| http://people.freebsd.org/~hosokawa/boot-ja/5.0-CURRENT/release-20001206-1/
| (please note that non-English docuemnt files are based on 4.2-RELEASE)
|
| Currently, this implementation supports Japanese, Korean, Traditional
| Chinese, and Russian.  The status of translation work is:
|
| Japanese:             finished
| Korean:                       finished
| Traditional Chinese:  about to finish
| Russian:              only *.hlp files have been translated
|
| This code has some minor problems, but it works.  I think it's better
| to change the development of this project to open style.  I would like
| to import this code to -current CVS repositry soon if there's no
| objections.

As we wait for libh development, I do not think we should exert
efforts to try for another solution.  This tends to allow for
slack in further development of better products.
A good example would be a proposal by Alfred Pernstein to slightly
modify RELENG_4 SMP for the duration of SMPNG development.  The proposal
was not well accepted due to the reason I stated above.

We really should concentrate on libh as a complete and _clean_ solution.

In addition, the purpose of putting localized sysinstall in -CURRENT
is rather dubious.  -CURRENT/HEAD is a developers' branch, people
who use this branch should be able to read English and the system
error messages.  If they cannot install the system with English
sysinstall, I would have doubts on their programming and testing ability.

People who run -CURRENT should be able to read and write English to
understand the code comments, report bugs, and post to the lists in English.

I would have no objections to L10N'ized sysinstall being maintained in
the same way that PAO is maintained.  The boot floppies and iso images
can be put up somewhere for download, and maintained in RELENG_4.

Normally, I would welcome any I18N/L10N efforts in FreeBSD.
However, the FreeBSD Project's official position paraphrased is
"If you don't know what to do with -CURRENT, don't install it."
Combined with the point that we should not divert efforts from libh,
I hold the opinion that we should not import this.

Finally, still many thanks and applause to Tatsumi and others
for this work.