Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:27:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Diekhans <markd@Kermodei.com>
To:        Jose Gabriel Marcelino <gabriel@maquina.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Notebook recommendation

Jose Gabriel Marcelino <gabriel@maquina.com> writes:
> I'm planning to buy a notebook and I want to run FreeBSD on it, of course.
> My main requirements are:
>
> - It has to be lightweight < 2.5Kg ( < 5.5 lbs)
> - Battery should last at the very least 2+ hours.
> - 1024x768 resolution
> - Compatibility with the Cisco Aironet 340 cards I already ordered
> (shoulnd't be too difficult, just requires a PC Card slot).
> - Maximum compatility with FreeBSD.

I recently purchased a Sharp A290 and (after about a month of use)
think its fantastic.  3.1-lbs, titanium case, 1024x768 with the
nices LCD I have ever used   PII/366/128mb/9gb for $1600 (U.S.).
Built-in ethernet an USB (&#%$ HSP modem).  I have been told
it runs cooler than the VAIOs.  Overall, a nicer machine (IMHO)
than the VAIOs for less money.  The external battery adds a lot
of extra time (~6 claimed hours)

Had some trouble with FreeBSD 4.0 and the PCCARD, but upgrading to
4.0-STABLE fix it all.

Haven't even looked at the sound support.

Mark