Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 06:08:52 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.3.x log rotation

On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 12:10:38 -0200 Sheldon Hearn wrote:

 > On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:37:50 GMT, Aidan Skinner wrote:

 > > > Do I need to use newsyslog(8)'s path_to_pid_file feature to send a
 > > > SIGHUP to the parent httpd, or should I rather configure httpd to log
 > > > via syslog(3) in the first place?

 > > You could SIGHUP httpd, but syslog should also work.

 > I didn't read the Apache docs closely enough -- syslog(3) only works
 > for ErrorLog.

The below in newsyslog.conf works fine here for both httpd and error
logs for main and virtual hosts - Apache 1.3.3 anyway. Edited a tad:

/usr/var/log/httpd-access.log  640 14  500     * - /var/run/httpd.pid
/usr/var/log/httpd-error.log   640 14  200     * - /var/run/httpd.pid
/usr/var/log/grnwk-access.log  root.xxxx  640 14  500  * - /var/run/httpd.pid
/usr/var/log/grnwk-error.log   root.xxxx  640 14  200  * - /var/run/httpd.pid
[..]

 > > Which one do depends on personal preference I guess, on my webserver I
 > > SIGHUP because that's how OpenBSD does it out of the box, and I saw no
 > > reason to change.

 > Looks like rotatelogs (or some similar pipe command) is the only way
 > to go. :-(

Newsyslog sending SIGHUP, as above works here ..

Cheers, Ian