Date:      04 Feb 2000 11:21:27 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modem configuration problems

I'm having trouble configuring my modem uder 3.4-S. The modem is a USR
Sportser 33.6 upgraded to v.90. I've used jumpers to set IRQ and
COM-port parameters.
,----[ kernel config ]
| device          sio2    at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 9
`----

All other serial ports are disabled on that box.

I tried testing it with minicom, and it behaves very strangely. When I
tap in "ATDT1234567", the modem goes off-hook, and I hear a dial tone. But
the modem doesn't dial the numbers. In stead, after a second, I hear
another tone... I'm not sure how to describe it... it's like a
distorted dial tone, slightly pulsating. I then press Cntr-C to hang
up.

The funny thing is that the next time I do "atdt123" (without exiting
minicom), it does dial the numbers.

What's more, "atiX" commands don't get echoed to screen. If I type
"ati7", I see nothing happening. However, if I hold down SPACE or
ENTER, the information starts slowly appearing (one character per one
press of any key.

And, lastly, I tried installing mgetty+sendfax, and sendfax complains:
,----
| sendfax -v -m ATF -M 7200 9056779381 dhl_fax.g3
| Trying fax device '/dev/cuaa2'... OK.
| sendfax: cannot set serial port speed 38000 on "cuaa2"
`----

In /var/log/messages I can see the following:
,----[ This repeats lotsa times ]
| Feb  3 11:33:05 soup /kernel: sio2: 16 more tty-level buffer \
|      overflows (total 27312)
`----

I'd appreciate any help in configuring the modem!
Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.