Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 09:13:49 +1100
From:      Craig Wilson <craig@natsoft.com.au>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        sobomax@altavista.net, l.farr@epcdirect.co.uk, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba Performance

I have FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE on a computer that is having Samba
performance problems. Using an Intel EtherExpress Pro100 (100MBit) it
takes 10 times as long to copy the same large file from a Win98
computer to the FreeBSD computer than it takes to copy from a Win98 to
Win98 computer.

On looking at the Samba man page I see that FeeBSD 3.3-RELEASE is
using Samba 2.0.5a. This Samba was installed as a precompiled package
from the 3.3-RELEASE CD-ROM. Could someone please advise me if the
Samba package on the CD-ROM contains this problem. If so I assume it
is best to download Samba 2.0.6.

Thanks in advance

Craig Wilson
National software Pty Ltd