Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:35:49 +1000
From:      "Andrew Johns" <ajohns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        <mestery@visi.com>, "Dann Lunsford" <dann@greycat.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Recommended laptops for FreeBSD?

[snip]
> On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Dann Lunsford wrote:
>
> > Hi!  I need some advice (or at least some information :-))
> about buying
> > a laptop.  What brands/models support FreeBSD best, etc.?
> > For instance, today I saw a ThinkPad 1472 (pretty sure that was the
> > model) with 14" screen, 6.4G drive, DVD/CD, 64Meg, etc; looked real
> > nice, just what I need for the trips I'll be making, if it only runs
> > FreeBSD.  Will it?  I have an old ThinkPad 750C running FreeBSD now,
> > which is why I'm looking at the 1472, but I'd really like to have
> > peoples' opinions.
> >
> Along these lines, does anyone have any experience with the Dell
> Inspiron 3500?  Dell has a real nice deal now (14.1 inch display, 64MB
> RAM, 4.2GB drive, CD-ROM) for ~$2,000.  Has anyone used one of these
> with FreeBSD before?  I know firsthand the Dell's are nice
> machines, as
> my father has one.  But I don't know if anyone's used the Inspiron's
> with FreeBSD.

None with the 3500, but the 7000's are pretty awesome - only prob we had
was getting X running on the ATI Rage Pro LT - it was the LT that wasn't
supported last time we looked.  Other than that it absolutely flew -
eg:sub 2 and a half minutes for a kernel compile (mind you we had 192 MB
RAM in that machine :)) but that was before we added softupdates...

Cheers
AJ