Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:53:08 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Passive FTP not working on FreeBSD 4.6.2 (Ports)

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 02:51:30PM +0100, Daniel Bye wrote:

> You need to set ${FTP_PASSIVE_MODE} in your shell's environment.  Set it
> to anything other than "NO".  You can either do this from your shell
> dotfiles, or you can modify the setenv directive in /etc/login.conf, so
> the change is available to all users who log in.

The default is PASSIVE in /etc/login.conf.

The inverse of PASSIVE is not ACTIVE but NONPASSIVE. Passive mode was a
hack added to ftp in order to get thru unintelligent (passive)
firewalls and make things easy for NAT. For normal non-passive ftp the
firewall has to open a path from the ftp server to the internal client.
And for NAT it also has to map to the internal IP address. FreeBSD's
natd with the punch_fw option does this.

If passive doesn't work then try non-passive. My firewall is ipfw with
natd, natd has the punch_fw option enabled to permit ftp. I don't allow
any and all outgoing connections, so passive ftp does not work here.
Non-passive does. I don't know why, once ftp was working the issue of
passive ftp became unimportant.

I haven't figured out how to non-passive ftp with IE 5. IIRC found a
switch in IE 6 to control it. On the Macintosh IE is smarter and is able
to get thru with non-passive altho the status said for about 30 seconds
"opening passive connection" before things suddenly start working. My
IPFW log clearly shows it is a non-passive connection.

But back to your problem. I suspect a block of internal ports is open to
outside port 20, and FreeBSD is not using a port in that range but NcFTP
is, as does your Windows machines.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net