Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 14:13:28 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        "Lance M.Westerhoff" <lmw188@psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DB2 on FreeBSD??

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Lance M.Westerhoff wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right list to send this question on, but....
>
> In the coming weeks we will be building a 20 processor (10 node) AMD
> 2000+ MP cluster, and I would really like us to try to use FreeBSD
> instead of Linux.  If these machines would only be used to run
> computations, I suspect we would have no trouble at all.  But, we will
> also be connecting a 1.5TB RAID to two of the machines (one will be used
> to serve databases and web pages, and the other will be a file and
> application server).

Your first problem is that currently, the stable (release) track of
FreeBSD cannot support filesystems over 1TB in size. There is current
work (in -current) on UFS2 which addresses this issue. You should,
however, be able to partition a large RAID array and use multiple
sub-11TB slices happily.

>   What about database
> software?  As the databases grow, I expect each of them to encompass
> several TB, so I don't think MySQL will work in the long run (though I
> could be wrong).

You may well be. MySQL uses single files per table, so you'll have a
practical limit of 1TB per table inherited from the filesystem unless
you look at UFS2. Oracle gives you quite a bit more control over where
and how your tables are distributed; you have _some_ control over this
with PostgreSQL but currently a table has to (effectively) sit in one
file.

PostgreSQL has some "object relational" features but that basically
means that one table can "inherit" from another; it can make some
modelling simpler but pgsql is _not_ an OODBMS.

>  Lastly, what sort of performance hit, if any, can
> we expect with using a Linux-native DBMS with FreeBSD's Linux
> compatibility libraries?

Providing the application works (if it doesn't, follow up with the
emulation crowd), there isn't a fixed overhead for linux "emulation".
The linuxulator works by using a different syscall vector and having a
set of lightweight linux shims over the freebsd kernel; so running code
goes at the same speed, basically. Performance differences will come
from fundamental subsystems like the VM system and the networking stack.
Here, opinions basically vary and your best bet would be to run your own
application-specific benchmarks if you're concerned about accurate
performance measurements. If you decide to do this then it's worth
following up with your results to the appropriate (freebsd or linux)
crowd because you will almost certainly get good tuning advice thrown
in for free with every explanation of why one is superior to the other
:-)

Lambda calculus? I hardly know 'er!