Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:41:37 -0600
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Cliff Sarginson" <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        <darryl@osborne-ind.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp packet filtering

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cliff Sarginson" <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To: "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
Cc: <darryl@osborne-ind.com>; <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 3:08 PM

> On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 10:01:01AM -0600, Josh Paetzel wrote:

Personally I use natd and ipfw if I have a static IP to deal with.  If I
am dealing with a dynamic IP I use ppp -nat and packet filtering.  I would
use ipfw with dynamic IP, but I haven't figured out a way to deal with the
dynamic IP, so I belive that ppp filtering is the only recourse that you
have.

As far as documentation and so forth, there isn't IMHO a lot of info out
there
on the packet filtering abilities of ppp.  The man page is great, but most
people
read the man page to get ppp working, and never realize that it's about 50
pages
long.  :) I've met a lot of people that didn't even realize that ppp could
do packet
filtering at all.

Josh