Date:      Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:00:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Damian Sobieralski <dsobiera@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NovaNet

I've got a question about backup software.  I recently started a new
position and they already bought a backup package called "NovaNet"

http://www.network-backup.com/datasheets/overview.html

  I looked at the installation guide and notice they mentioned
FreeBSD 4.5 but the website and userguide don't list FreeBSD at all.  I
downloaded the update to the software and the install script has a case
to check for FreeBSD and it trys to execute an install in a directory
fbd, but there is only a lin directory.  I called Novastor and talked
with both a sales rep and a "tech support" person.  The sales person
told me it didn't support any UNIX (which I quickly corrected him on).
I then got transferred to tech support which was less than helpful. I'm
not sure if the Tech support or sales person was
less....ummm...techie...but I digress.  It took about 2 minutes to
explain that FreeBSD was not a Linux as he was spouting off the various
Linux distributions he knew it supported.  If we didn't already own
this software this phone call would have been enough to sour me to the
whole product.

 Anyways, a couple of questions-

1) Can anyone confirm if NovaNet supports a native FreeBSD backup node?
2) If no to 1, has anyone successfully used it in Linux compatability
mode on a FreeBSD box?

 And one more question:

 Can anyone sugguest a good networked backup solutions (server and
client nodes paradigm) that works on various OS's?  The rest of our
unit uses Vertitas but I don't know if they do FreeBSD and/or Linux. We
seem to be the odd man out :(  We have a Windows 2003 server backup
master and I hope to have 2-3 FreeBSD client nodes.

For what it is worth, I'm running FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE. Thanks in
advance for any assistance.

- Damian