Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:50:31 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Noah <admin2@enabled.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /libexec/ld-elf.so.1

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 01:37:56PM -0800, Noah wrote:
>=20
>=20
> so something strange has happened and my machine no longer boots and I=20
> am not clear why.  Here is what happens during boot:
>=20
>=20
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
> ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
> ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: sh
> FEnter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: /bin/sh
> ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
> ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
> ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
> ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
>=20
> what is the best suggestion for troubleshooting this?

That's a pretty serious error, it indicates your system has lost the
ability to run any dynamically linked binaries (i.e. almost all of
them, by default) because the dynamic linker was removed somehow.  The
cause of this could either be accidental misuse of rm or similar,
filesystem corruption, disk failure, etc.  Try to work out what you or
the other admins were doing prior to this failure.

To repair, you can boot -s and use the statically linked tools in
/rescue to try and investigate the cause and possible fix.  One thing
that might work is that if you have done an installworld on this
machine in the past then you might have a useable backup
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1.old which you could copy into place.  If not, and
you can't find a way to get a copy of this file onto the machine, then
your remaining alternative would be a reinstall.

Kris

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc--