Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 2009 20:24:58 +0100
From:      "Koen Smits" <kgysmits@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Via Nano CPU: Can boot 7.0-RELEASE-amd64, can't boot 7.1-RELEASE-amd64: "cpu doesn't support long mode"

Hello all,

I have some problems getting FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE amd64 to boot on my VIA
VB8001, which is a mini-ITX board with the new VIA Nano CPU. This CPU is
fully 64bit capable. But, when I try to boot Disc1 from an IDE CD-ROM I get
the error "cpu doesn't support long mode", which implies the CPU can't do
64bit, and booting halts asking for a kernel.
The first thing I tried was running ubuntu 8.10 64bit. It installs and runs
fine. And, trying FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE Disc1 amd64 also boots and installs
normally!
Any help on fixing this is much appreciated.

System specs:
VIA VB8001
4GB RAM
Intel CT NIC (PCIe)
Intel 2915abg Wireless (miniPCI)
IDE Master: Kingston Ultimate 2GB CF
IDE Slave: Samsung CD-ROm drive

Sincerely,

Koen Smits

PS. I'm new to the mailing list concept. If i mess something up, please let
me know.