Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2018 10:17:12 -0800
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Best way to deal with .pyc files?

On 12/6/18 11:17 AM, Michael Gmelin wrote:

>> On 6. Dec 2018, at 19:21, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> The devel/gdb port installs python scripts into /usr/local/share/gdb<ver>/python.
>> If you then run kgdb as root (not that unusual), it will generate .pyc files in
>> those directories that are not deleted by 'pkg delete'.  What is the best way to
>> handle this case?  Should the pkg-plist include @rmtry entries for each pyc
>> file or is there a better way?
>>

> Pre-generate the pyc files on package build and install them with the port, so they become part of plist (there are examples of that in the ports tree, whenever possible for both py27 and py3x).

Ok.  One follow-up question.  GDB's python bindings work with both py2 and
py3, but the bindings are optional.  Right now PYTHON is a port option
(but on by default).  If I wanted to add flavors I would probably want them
to be conditional on the option, so the results would be 'gdb' and
'gdb-py3' packages by default, but if someone was using poudriere locally
and disabled python, I would only want to build a single 'gdb' without
python.  So, can I make the flavors conditional on an option or is it too
late to define flavors after including bsd.ports.options.mk?

That is, can I do something this:

OPTIONS_DEFINE= PYTHON
OPTIONS_DEFAULT= PYTHON

.include <bsd.port.pre.mk>