Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 2008 04:36:45 +1000
From:      funkyrod@gmail.com
To:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Visual Editor SWT windows wire frame only - get of the picture failed?

I can't get the Visual Editor to work properly on Eclipse with FreeBSD.

I'm using 7.0-release, and Java-1.6:

# uname -a
FreeBSD  7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #22: Tue Apr 29 20:15:01 EST 2008
root@pcbsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
# java -version
java version "1.6.0_03-p4"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-p4-root_19_mar_2008_17_02-b00)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0_03-p4-root_19_mar_2008_17_02-b00,
mixed mode)

The problem is that although Swing works, SWT doesn't.

With any SWT windows (e.g. Shell) within the visual editor, only an empty
wireframe appears together with a small lightbulb. If I hover the mouse over
the lightbulb the following error message appears:

Get of the picture
failed "org.eclipse.ve.internal.swt.targetvm.unix.ImageCapture.getPixels(IIII)
[I"

This message and lightbulb also appears in the lower margin of the eclipse
application window.

I've tried using the visual editor from ports with the Eclipse 3.2 from ports.
I've also tried the Eclipse 3.3 and 3.4 unoffical VEP from the following
website with Eclipse-devel (3.3.2) from ports:

http://www.ehecht.com/eclipse_ve/ve.html

The same error appears with each configuration.

I understand that VEP is only "official" for Eclipse 3.2, but I have been able
to use the version from above (and others referenced in the eclipse.org VEP
wiki) on Eclipse Europa and Ganymede on other platforms (Win XP, Linux).

Does anyone know how to make SWT windows appear correctly in VE windows on
Eclipse - FreeBSD?

I'd like to be able to stick to FreeBSD for visual GUI building, and not have
to switch to Windows on Linux if possible just to get this functionality.