Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 2009 03:46:46 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        invalid.pointer@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Urgent help needed : portmaster dies on py-cairo

Manish Jain wrote:

>After 3-4 hours, portsnap died on graphics/py-cairo saying :
>cannot find python headers

I'm guessing you meant "portmaster died" here ...

>/usr/ports/graphics/py-cairo/work/pycairo-1.8.4/config.log says :
>configure:4734: cc -E -I/usr/local/include conftest.c
>conftest.c:10:28: error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
>configure:4741: $? = 1

>cd /usr
>find . -name 'ac_nonexistent.h'
>#no results

As the name suggests, this header doesn't really exist.  It's just a
dummy header used during a test in the configure script to see how the
compiler reacts when a header isn't there, in preparation for testing
for the presence of real headers.  That shouldn't be the problem: are
you sure the configure script really failed at that point?  If so,
something is probably wrong with your compiler or toolchain, and
that's usually bad news. :(

>py-cairo-1.8.4 needs python2.6. My system has both python2.5 and
>python2.6 installed, with their headers under
>/usr/local/include/python2.5 and /usr/local/include/python2.6
>respectively.

Why do you have both versions installed?  2.6 is  largely
backwards-compatible with 2.5, so why not just rip out 2.5 and use 2.6
exclusively?  You'll save some trouble and disk space. Make sure your
ports tree is up-to-date, so that PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION defaults to
python2.6.  Then deinstall lang/python25 and reinstall lang/python26.
In particular, check to see that /usr/local/bin/python is present is a
link to /usr/local/bin/python2.6.  If it isn't, then something is
wrong -- perhaps you have PYTHON_VERSION or PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION
defined to the wrong value, or your ports tree is corrupt.  Then
rebuild all of the ports that depend upon python, and remove any
vestige of the old /usr/local/lib/python2.5 directory tree. If you've
stale ports that are still wired to use python2.5 for no good reason,
you can patch them or their port Makefiles, or put a workaround in
make.conf.

>Any help on enabling py-cairo locate the python headers would be
>greatly appreciated.

What is the output of:

"make -C /usr/ports/graphics/py-cairo -V CONFIGURE_ENV"

If PYTHON is in there, properly defined as the path to the python2.6
binary, and the binary actually exists, then the configure script
should succeed. If not, something is wrong.  The configure script
uses:

PYTHON_INCLUDES=`$PYTHON-config --includes 2>/dev/null` to find the
proper Python.h.  Is /usr/local/bin/python2.6-config missing or broken
on your system?  What about /usr/local/include/python2.6/Python.h?

b.