Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:26:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Yest one more: devel/crosssco

On 31-Mar-98 Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Simon Shapiro wrote:
>
>> I can accept this reality as ``this is what it is'', but not the
>> ``acusation'' that my system is broken.
>
> That's not supported by the facts, Simon.  I can easily make the
> building of a port break.  Great example in point is gimp.  Take the
> normal gimp port and install it.  After it is installed, make
> gimp-devel.  The building of gimp-devel will notice parts of the other
> gimp on your system, and misconfigure things.  When you get gimp-devel
> installed, it will not work at all (core dumps or missing features).

When I grew up, a program that dumps core was considered broken.
If gimp-devel breaks because gimp is installed, then the gimp-devel
dependency is that gimp CANNOT be installed.  This IS within the scope of
FreeBSD ports.  If this is not done, then either gimp or gimp-devel are
broken.  It also tells me there is no way to build a complete ports as once
gimp is installed, gimp-devel will break.

> It's not the port that's broken here, it's your test environment.  If
> your being stubborn and saying that all ports should totally ignore
> their environment, well, this is not now and never has been true, but if
> you won't acknowldege it, I guess your next paragraph (regrettably)
> makes sense.

I am not being stubborn.  I am being inquisitive.  You can tell me ``Thisis
what it is and that's it'' and I'll accept that.  You can change the
documentation and specify that ports cannot be built by someone who does
not know and manipulate the contents of the packages, or you can say that
some packages are broken and you do not want to see it in the list.
I really do not care.

Aside from telling me that my environment is broken, no one, except Dan,
suggested in which way it is broken.

> For everyone else, ports _do_ work, within limitations.

Within limitations they work here too.  NOT ALL ports breake here.  Most
build just fine.

Simon