Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 17:17:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: threads....

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> >
> >> I've seen 'FUD' a lot, and I know it's not good... what does it mean
> >> again?
> >
> >Read the jargon file.
> >
> >> Also, from what I understand, the issue with threads is in the kernel,
> >> not user space.  If I understand correctly, the kernel is not threaded,
> >> which means that all processes must wait one at a time for each kernel
> >> call to finish, since it cannot be pre-empted.  It this correct?  I saw
> >> an earlier post saying that Linux has a jump on this.
> >
> >This is an unrelated issue (Linux isn't very much beyond FreeBSD here).
> >
> >> I understand that user threads are supported, but apparently the issue
> >> is kernel threads.
> >
> >You still haven't explained how.
> OK, then, let me ask this:
> Just what _is_ the thread support Linux has that FreeBSD doesn't have at
> the moment?  I will procede once I have an accurate answer to this
> question. Apparently FreeBSD still multitasks quite well without this
> feature, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be a future design goal.

FreeBSD supports the linux clone() syscall, there is outdated
work available on http://lt.tar.com/ for a FreeBSD port of linuxthreads.

What linux uses as it's thread model is a shared address space fork
with wrappers for signals and other thread specific.

This has been discussed to death already, I invite you to take a search
on the mailing lists for a the thread that discusses the work on
http://lt.tar.com/

-Alfred