Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 02:44:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeffrey Lynn Jeffries <jeffries@ns1.schleprock.com>
To:        Dragon Knight <dragonknight@dtgnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CD

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Dragon Knight wrote:

> Hey, I am wondering about this because i am
> very cash poor. But, when say 2.2.8 or 3.0 comes
> out and i want a CD how hard would it be to make
> one myself (i do have a CD-R) under both FreeBSD
> (i run 2.2.6) and Win98.  I would like to create
> something like Walnut Creek CD-Rom ships that
> is bootable via El-Torrito(i think).  And i know they
> have a list of files they put on the CD's on their site
> so i don't have a problem knowing what files go
> where.  Any help, or if you could point me in
> the direction of something that could be useful
> would be appreciated.

I am trying to do the same.  I don't have much info and have not been
able to test this (since I am without CDR), but here's what little
information I do have (anyone - feel free to let me know where I need
more, should be doing something else, etc.):

Make sure that you have the vn driver configured into your kernel.

Then, make a SNAP/RELEASE of what you want to make a CD with by CVSUP'ing
a source tree with 'cvsup -g supfile'.  To keep all the sources in
/usr/home/2.2.8-SNA-cvs, the cvsup info in
/usr/home/2.2.8-SNAP-cvsinfo, your supfile should have:

  *default prefix=/usr/home/2.2.8-SNAP-cvs
  *default base=/usr/home/2.2.8-SNAP-cvsinfo
  *default release=cvs (if you want -STABLE, use tag=RELENG_2_2
                        afterwards)
   src-all
   src-eBones
   src-secure
   ports-all (I have a tag=. in mine, don't know if it's necessary)
   www
   doc-all

Then, do the following to build the release in /usr/home/2.2.8-SNAP:
  setenv CVSROOT /usr/home/2.2.8-SNAP-cvs
  cd /usr/src/release
  make release BUILDNAME=2.2.8-MY-SNAP CHROOTDIR=/usr/home/2.2.8-SNAP

Now you need to make an ISO image.  There is an example script in
/usr/share/examples/worm called makecdfs.sh.  To have the CD bootable,
start the script with a -b option.  For example, to make an ISO image
called 2.2.8-CD.image with the name FreeBSD-2.2.8 in /usr/home, with
everything stored in the directory structure /usr/home/2.2.8-SNAP, and a
copyright string of TestCD

   makecdfs -b FreeBSD-2.2.8 /usr/home/2.2.8-SNAP /usr/home/2.2.8-CD.image \
   "TestCD"

(note that the above is all on one line).

This ISO image can be used under FreeBSD using the burncd.sh script (in
the /usr/share/examples/worm directory), or under a greater portion of
Windows CDR utilties.  The burncd.sh script is tailored to the HP 4020i,
and other CDR's may supposedly require other setups (read the script and
the man page on wormcontrol(1) to find out what to do for any other CDR).
Since HP bought back my 4020i's (I had three of them die on me in two
months), and since I sold my Yamaha CDR over a year ago, I can't test this
to see if it really works.  If you have any luck, *please* let me know.
I'd be very interested - and probably running to the wholesaler to buy
another Yamaha CDR  :)

Again, I have absolutely *no* idea whether this works or not, and how
much of this information is accurate. The information I do have is from
the FAQ (http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ230.html) and some helpful users
here on the list.

Oh, and of course: I can't be responsible for damage to your system, blah,
blah, blah  :)  Good luck, and let me know how it goes. . .

   Jeffrey Lynn Jeffries
   Chief Software Engineer, Missing Link Media

   jeffries@schleprock.com
   http://www.schleprock.com/~jeffries

   Proud user of FreeBSD: Ask me how to unleash the daemon inside your PC