Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 1999 22:48:11 +0100
From:      David von Stetten <stetten@gi.alaska.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Darren Wiebe <dkwiebe@heartland.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware and FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE

On Fri, 03 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> On Thursday,  2 December 1999 at 14:27:03 -0700, Darren Wiebe wrote:
> > David von Stetten wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello everybody....
> >>
> >> When I read a couple of days ago that the linux version of vmware now runs
> >> on FreeBSD I got all excited, but then I noticed that this was only the
> >> case for -current. I am using FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE, so I was wondering if
> >> there would be any way to get vmware to run on this version? Maybe by
> >> pgrading the linux emulator or something....
> >>
> >> Any comments on the subject would be highly appreciated! :-)
> >
> > Wishing exactly what I am...  You could probably update to current.  I
> > tried upgrading but I cannot get it to build, I guess that means that I
> > should not be running it yet...  I should tell you to go to -current
> > because the handbooks says NEVER to do it just for new toys... :-)  It
> > would take a bit of work to get it to work I think.  It could probably
> > be done in -stable, I don't know about 3.3 release though...
>
> Before you get too worried about the situation, consider that
> 4.0-RELEASE is scheduled for 15 January 2000.
That's good to know! Even though I just got done installing 3.3-RELEASE,
dammit....
So just to make this as clear as possible: vmware for linux is going to
run on this 4.0-RELEASE, right? Well, certainly an argument in favor of
installing again... :-)
What would be the odds for installing it on top on 3.3?

Thanks,
David