Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 14:46:58 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Michael Robinson <robinson@public.bta.net.cn>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug in wd driver

> > > Actually, the bug is that the driver does not recover gracefully from a
> > > recoverable hardware fault.  It instead goes into an infinite loop, taking
> > > significant pieces of the kernel with it.
> >
> > Actually, an interrupt timeout is not a "recoverable hardware fault".
>
> Sure it is.  You're being silly now Mike, this is indeed a 'bug' in the
> driver, but it's probably not one that's going to be fixed unless the
> submitter fixes it himself.  Fixing it is non-trivial but possible to
> do.

I guess it's a matter of semantics.  You're suggesting we should have a
workaround, which is fair enough.  I'm inclined to think that if your
hardware screws that badly you're better off losing it.

> Having a bad spot on a disk shouldn't make the disk *totally* unusable,
> as every other 'significant' OS can deal with fine.

This isn't a "bad spot" in the traditional sense - this is the disk
firmware failing.  A "bad spot" gives you a recognisable, and
recoverable, error.  We handle that just fine.  What we don't handle are
cases where the disk:controller protocol fails.  IMHO, the value in
handling this case is small - the only times I've seen this reported
over the last few years has been with disks that are basically screwed.

Note that DOS-derived operating systems will often dump their cookies in
a similar fashion under the same circumstances (exact results seem to
vary, and I don't have a drive I can test this with anymore, having
consigned my last one to the dump before moving).

> This is also why I was w/out a laptop for 5 months, since our driver
> couldn't get past the bad sector on the boot partition when it went bad
> and everytime fsck tried to read it it locked up the computer. :(

So don't fsck it; I talked you through solving that problem, and you
ignored me.  8)