Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 2015 11:44:13 -0500
From:      Anthony Jenkins <Scoobi_doo@yahoo.com>
To:        Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail.com>, "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: uncontrollable brightness with PC-BSD 11.0-CURRENT

On 12/18/2015 09:55 PM, Graham Perrin wrote:
> On 16/12/2015 20:30, Anthony Jenkins wrote:
>> =E2=80=A6 Try loading acpi_video(4) and seeing if the brightness keys =
work.  I can help you with ACPI bit.
> I read the manual page, but I don't understand PC-BSD well enough to
> know how to perform the load.

To see if acpi_video(4) is loaded: enter 'kldstat | grep acpi_video' at
shell prompt.  If no output, acpi_video(4) is not loaded.

To load acpi_video(4), as root enter 'kldload acpi_video' at shell
prompt.  If successful, try the brightness keys - maybe they'll work.

You might provide me a dump of your ACPI tables to see if the _BQC
method exists, on which (I believe) acpi_video(4) relies.  To dump (and
disassemble) ACPI tables to machine file 'perrin-dsdt.aml' and source
file 'perrin-dsdt.asl', as root enter 'acpidump -t -d -o perrin-dsdt.aml
> perrin-dsdt.asl' at shell prompt and send me either the .aml or the
=2Easl file.

> Experimentally, I edited some files and restarted the OS but there was
> no improvement. The acpi_video discussions on which I based those
> experiments were old; I may be on the wrong learning curve.
>
> Is it relevant to state that VESA is in use?

I don't think so, but I'm using the Radeon KMS driver.