Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:09:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Getting Perl scripts to work as mail filters

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Mxsmanic wrote:

> *** There's nothing wrong with reinventing procmail like this, but I'm
> curious why you consider it "bloated"--it's under 64K on my system. ***
>
> Bloated in the sense of complexity.  My script is one file; I install it by
> changing one line in /etc/mail/aliases.  Procmail cannot compete with that.

Um... install the port, create a .forward file, and set up .procmailrc?
There are more complex ways to use it, but I haven't tried them.  I
looked at some "packaged" versions of procmail setups, and found them
too complex to mess with--scoring and weighting and stuff.  My setup
just filters things, and does a pretty good job of it.

The nice thing about procmail is that it has all the hard stuff already
handled--dealing with headers or the body of the message, locking, and
so on.