Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 03:46:55 +0700
From:      Vadim Goncharov <vadim_nuclight@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Frenzy FreeBSD LiveCD

Hello Matt,

Wednesday, August 31, 2005, 1:11:09 AM, you wrote:

MO> Here's where you can get the iso for the FreeBSD business card cd
MO> that we call BSDLive. It was a great success at OSCON and Linux
MO> World. Especially at Linux World, where we were happy to see all the
MO> linux laptops rebooted to FreeBSD as people checked it out  ;-)

MO> Since the iso is less than 48mb, it's pretty skimpy but we managed to
MO> get blackbox with the opera browser on there so you can still do
MO> quite a bit with it. This is a live cd, so it doesn't install
MO> anything on the hard drive. It's great for somebody that wants to
MO> give FreeBSD a try or to carry in your wallet/purse.

MO> http://www.offmyserver.com/bsdlive

I wonder why there too little FreeBSD-based LiveCD projects are known to
community and PR-ed outside of it. I've using one FreeBSD LiveCD, named
Frenzy, and found it _very_ useful. Reading about "great success" oà
BSDLive, I expect that Frenzy will be a sensation :)

Frenzy, "a portable sysadmin's toolkit", is a 200 Mb geom_ugz-compressed
LiveCD ISO image (600 Mb unpacked) fitting on one mini-CD disk; no HDD
required for operation.

When Frenzy boots, it creates required memory disks, automatically detects
and mounts HDD partitions (UFS, FAT16/32, NTFS, EXT2FS are supported).
It also mounts FreeBSD swap space as Frenzy swap, if found. If you wish you
can create a swap file on mounted partitions. There is also an automatical
mouse type detection (PS/2, serial, USB). If you want X, Frenzy will
autoconfigure it for you, on first typing "startx". Configured fluxbox
and Opera are also present :)

All settings (read: made/changed user files) can be saved and loaded
from/to floppy or USB flash. Developer scripts used to build ISO image
are also present on disk (open source all-in-one).

Although Frenzy is mostly dedicated for sysadmins and other technical
guys (it was named the best hacker's LiveCD in one article i've read),
it contains several applications for "normal" use, including AbiWord,
XMMS and MPlayer.

For example, last time I've used Frenzy was to help
my friend. He was temporarily sitting with fully-operable machine, but
without hard-disk. He is inexperienced (typical home) user, using computer
mostly for entertainment purposes, heared something about Linux and
scared by "all these months of configuration". After brief lecture and
few typing by me he was given a nice GUI, and in short time he learned
how to mount Windoze shares on the network, then seeing films in
MPlayer and listening audio in XMMS. He was impressed by 4 dektops :)
anâ said that audio quality was better than on Windoze. He decided to
try and install for learning one of unix-like systems in the future,
more preferably FreeBSD. Good result, I thought that time :)

More information: http://frenzy.org.ua (http://frenzy.org.ua/eng/ for english text)

--
Best regards,
 Vadim Goncharov   ICQ UIN 166852181   mailto:vadim_nuclight@mail.ru