Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2019 11:27:17 -0600
From:      "A. Wilcox" <AWilcox@Wilcox-Tech.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is evdev and autoloading?

--6gVcvqK2S1Wk3UDfvbVXLa0gGBaV2FDNO
From: "A. Wilcox" <AWilcox@Wilcox-Tech.com>
To: freebsd-current@freebsd.org

--ElK4o4xXz8u0VKu9sQSLHjDxqZk9lYzkT

On 02/18/19 10:50, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

>>> events

That's... wrong.

evdev has nothing to do with libinput.  Rather, it can be used by
libinput, but I never once used libinput on FreeBSD/X11.  I used
xf86-input-evdev.

evdev is a generic event device subsystem originated in the Linux kernel.=

> But it DOES work, I am pretty sure we have 1000's of users on that 5 ye=
ar
> old hardware that are totally happy with the intree DRM2 that is in sta=
ble/12,
> and some of whom have ventured into head/13 are having issues with the
> "new" model (ie kmod broken by a base commit).
>=20
> I think one serious problem here is the summary dismissal of things
> simply on the "5 year old" basis.  Not everyone, and infact few now
> a days other than corporate buyers, can afford new hardware,=20
> giving the minimal performance increase in systems over the last 5
> years the cost/benifit factor of a new computer is just too low.

That's the primary reason I don't focus on FreeBSD any more, and the
primary reason when I have sudden time crunches, FreeBSD stuff is the
first to go out the window.

It's not that I don't like FreeBSD any more, it's that it just doesn't
fit in with my ideas on how a system project should be run, or how it
should prioritise.  And that isn't really a comment on FreeBSD, nor me,
it's just a statement.  Everyone's different.

Perhaps all the people who are upset at FreeBSD becoming the next OS X
(you must have hardware *this* *new* to run!) should start putting more
effort in to keeping the old hardware alive and working in the processes
defined by FreeBSD.  Make proposals, participate and communicate on MLs
(instead of just complain), etc.

This is all just observations I've made over the last few months of
reading -current and not really contributing much.  Apologies if I'm off
the mark on any of this.

Best to you and yours,
--arw

--=20