Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2014 14:24:59 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jos Chrispijn <kernel@webrz.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Pkgng

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 14:05:26 +0100, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
>    If I switch to pkgng does the pkgdb -L and pkgdb -F still work ? I have
>    been told to not use it anymore then.

The pkgdb command does not belong to the system's pkg_* tools.
Instead it is a part of portupgrade, responsible for keeping
the database "intact" especially when combining installation
methods (portupgrade, "make install", pkg_add). As pkg (pkgng(
has an improved database subsystem, additional pkgdb calls
are not required anymore, and portupgrade will (usually)
interact fine with pkg in position of the old pkg_* tools.

>    How is this solved under pkgng?

By not being needed. :-)

--
Polytropon