Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 10:23:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcap_open_live() takes 1 sec to complete?

Marco Molteni writes:
| I am writing a small program that does a pcap_open_live() on the
| Aironet an device, PCMCIA mode. System is a recent -stable on a
| Toshiba Portege 7200 laptop.
|
| Now, pcap_open_live() takes more than 1 sec to return. Is this long
| time expected?

Hmm, don't seem to recall that.  My system is busy doing a make world
and stuff.  I just tried it and on my busy machine it was less then
a second.  Note I was not in RFMON mode.  It might take longer when
I have to switch into RFMON mode.  I can try that later.  You might
try to compare it without RFMON if you are using RFMON.

FYI, I put a sample BPF packet dumper up at:
        http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/an/dump_packet/
I used it to debug the 802.11 packet problem and to look at the raw
Aironet Header packets.

You'll see it has some test code to check gap length.

This is on -stable with my 802.11 aligment fix.

Doug A.