Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:14:41 -0500
From:      "Charlie" <charlie@infoworks.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Kurtis Smith <ksscendyn@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: I just need a little help on getting back to edit rc.conf

On 24 Aug 00, at 13:48, Kurtis Smith wrote:

> Well I edit rc.conf after successfully compiling my Custom Kernel with
> support for Firewall...
>
> However I mistyped something and now it only comes up with
>
> /etc/rc.conf: 23: Syntax error(dumby me): Undetermined quoted string
> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
>
> How can I get in to edit rc.conf... I can seem to figure it out then again
> I did not try much.
>
> I am still a newby almost got the basics down but a long way to go...
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> -kurt

If you press RETURN for /bin/sh, you should get a root shell that
will allow you to use:

vi /etc/rc.conf

to edit your changes... if you type 'mount' on a command line by
itself, you might find / is in read-only mode, in which case you'll
have to tell mount to change it to read-write mode so you can save
your changes.... I think it's 'mount -w /'.

I've done bone-headed things with config files that prevent me from
getting /bin/sh in single-user mode... most of these were from bad
kernel configs, I think, but if this applies to you, you might try using
the Fixit Floppy off the CD-ROM distro.

Good luck  :-)

-Charlie