Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 23:51:55 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@northwestern.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates question

On 7/9/00, 6:56:12 AM, "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@northwestern.edu>=20
wrote regarding Softupdates question:

> I'm upgrading to 4.0 and the softupdates option looks particularly
> attractive. I'd like to use it because of power outages.

> My question is: Which filesystem(s) should softupdate be applied to?=20
All of
> them? Or, are some better than others? What about the root filesystem?=
=20
If
> so, is it possible to umount all filesystems and run the tunefs=20
program?
> --
> David Kanter
> djkanter@northwestern.edu

Dear David Kanter,

If performance is your main concern, you may wish to enable=20
softupdates and the "noatime" option for all filesystems except for=20
"/". This last filesystem ("/") should (normally) be used only with=20
the "noatime" option.

Just my 0.02 Euro to the pot :-)

<MATERIAL FOR FLAME WAR>
Incidentally, I seem to understand that softupdates, with respect to=20
e.g. J.F.S. (Journaling Filesystem), is even better (!). That is, it=20
is quicker, and, in case of problems, you only lose a rather limited=20
amount of data (related to the last 30 seconds or so of system activity)=
.=20

For obscure reasons, softupdates has not received enough=20
/acknowledgements/emphasis/etc., and has been considered as a "minor"=20
substitute for JFS for quite a while ...=20
</MATERIAL FOR FLAME WAR>

UPS devices, however, are cheaper and cheaper, so this should no=20
longer be an issue.=20

Best regards,
Salvo