Date:      14 Sep 2001 15:51:50 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com>, Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>, Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com> writes:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:
> : You realize that that's around the death toll of the entire Vietnam
> : war, right?
> The American death toll.  The Vietnamese toll was much, much higher.

This doesn't really matter, since the Vietnam war never took place, as
is evident from the following sound bite from a US Senator on CNN two
days ago:

"Americans have never shrunk from battle, nor have we ever given in,
and we will not do so now."

It is equally evident that World War II never took place either - in
the words of another interviewee:

"Something has happened that had never happened before: in one stroke,
so many people were killed, all of them innocent"

America is in serious need of a lesson in humility and historical
perspective, though I concede that this is a horrible way to learn
such a lesson, and I would not wish it upon anyone.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org